Hi all, I was searching for a quick and easy apple crumble recipe and couldn’t find an appealing vegan option. So, I’ve researched for you and come up with a great vegan protein apple crumble recipe that’s perfect for the school holidays or even those busy weeknights when you’re in for a single serving (or 4) of apple crumble!
What is Apple Crumble?
Apple crumble is a popular dessert that consists of baked spiced apples topped with a layer of crumbly, buttery, and often oat-based topping. It’s a comforting and delicious dessert that combines the sweetness and tartness of cooked apples with a crunchy, flavorful topping.
The Fascinating History of Apple Crumble
Apple crumble is a traditional British dessert, and it’s basically just like apple pie—except it doesn’t have any pastry. Instead, you mix up some flour and butter until it forms tiny crumbles, then sprinkle those on top of stewed apples.
That’s right: it’s an alternative to the pastry-based apple pie that was so popular before the war. The difference between the two? Well, one has pastry and one doesn’t!
After World War II ended, people were having trouble getting flour and butter from rationing—so they started making their own desserts instead of relying on store-bought items. And that’s how this delicious dish came about!
Why you should make this protein apple crumble recipe
- it tastes amazing
- not too sweet, not too tangy
- single serving (or adjust to make it serve more mouths)
- high in protein
- no added sugar
- nut and seed free
- low-calorie option
Ingredients and Substitutions
Apple: it’s not an apple crumble if there’s no apple. Use whatever apple you would like, but traditionally people tend to use more sour apples. However I just had red delicious apples on hand, so I used that.
Oats: Gluten-free if necessary. This is to add some texture, fibre and nutrients to the dessert (even though I eat it for breakfast).
Vegan Vanilla Protein Powder: I use this one, but if you have a pumpkin or apple pie-flavoured vegan protein powder, feel free to use that! The protein powder should be sweetened though (mine’s sweetened with stevia), it’s the main source of sweetness in the topping.
Apple pie spice: including ground cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and nutmeg. These spices make a huge difference!
Lemon juice – for a slight tang to pair with the protein apple crumble
Tips and Tricks for the best protein apple crumble
- For a softer apple crumble, chop the apples into smaller pieces.
- Mix the lemon juice, spices, and apples well so there won’t be clumps of spices
- bake on the top rack for the last 5 minutes for a crispier crust
- let it cool for 5 minutes first before serving – the apple crumble is hot!
Protein Apple Crumble Recipe
The Best Low Fat High Protein Apple Crumble Recipe
Crumbles / Topping
- 3-4 tablespoons rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1/4 cup vanilla vegan protein powder (scroll up for more info)
- 1/2 teaspoon Apple pie spice
- 3 tablespoons water (more if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Apple (peeled and chopped to bite size pieces)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 200c/392f. Spray non-stick spray in your ceramic baking dish of choice
- In a medium bowl, add the crumble/topping ingredients together except for water (oats, protein powder, baking powder, spices) and mix well
- Add in the water and continue mixing until it forms a crumbly dough. It should be slightly wet. Add a little more water at a time if needed. Set aside.
- Add the chopped apples, lemon juice, and spices into the baking dish and miz well. spread the mixture evenly across the baking dish. Sprinkle in the toppings evenly on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the toppings are a golden brown colour. If you want your crumbles to be more crispy, bake the apple crumble on the top rack at the last 5 minutes
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Be careful, it’s hot!