This super easy lemon protein cake batter recipe is my new favourite snack! Not only is it vegan, gluten-free and keto, this dip tastes absolutely amazing.
Why you should make this protein lemon cake batter
- A sweet tangy flavor
- The texture is the same as a regular cake batter
- High in protein
- High in fibre
- Low-carb and keto-friendly
- Sugar-free and gut-friendly
- Perfect for spreads, dips, or eating it with your fingers!
- Only 1 bowl and spoon need
- Meal prep friendly
- Takes 1 minute to make
Lately, I’ve been obsessed with this recipe. Not only is it so simple to make, but the protein lemon cake batter dip will turn out amazing each time, even if you only eye the ingredient measurements!
Ingredients & Substitutions for Lemon Protein Cake Batter
Vega vanilla protein powder
Any vanilla or lemon pea protein powder will work, but I really like the Vega sport plant-based protein powder because of its clean ingredients and it’s perfect for baking. What’s more, wrote an in-depth review on it about the pros and cons, so feel free to check it out.
Also, keep in mind that every brand of protein powder is different, so you will have to adjust the liquids a little for the best texture. If your protein powder is unsweetened or not sweet enough, adding more sweeteners is always an option. Personally, I like to use granulated stevia.
This is what makes the recipe cakey and fluffy. Coconut flour is a low-carb, grain-free flour that’s high in fibre and absorbs a lot of liquids, therefore any substitutions for it won’t get you the same results.
Lemon Juice and Zest
It’s not a protein lemon cake batter recipe if there’s no lemon. I highly recommend using fresh lemons, especially for the zest. The lemon zest is optional but recommended, to add more tang and aesthetic when you sprinkle some on top.
Plant-based milk of your choice
This is to create a creamy texture to the lemon dip. If you want a lower-calorie option, you can swap out half the milk with water. Alternatively, for a higher-calorie version, using full-fat milk will work as well.
What can you serve with lemon protein cake batter dip?
There are so many things you can pair with this lemon protein cake batter dip recipe. Here are just some suggestions, but the possibilities are endless!
- Dip it with apple slices (my current favourite way to eat it)
- Spread it on toast or rice cakes
- Dip with some graham crackers
- Spread it on top of protein-baked oats
- Use it as a filling
- And so much more
Tips and tricks to make the best lemon protein cake batter
- Roll your lemon on a hard surface for one minute so you can get more lemon juice out
- use a mini zester to safely get the most zest out of the lemon easily and quickly.
- If you’re swapping out half the milk with water, add lemon juice first, then water, and lastly milk
- Remember to taste test! The coconut flour and protein powder you use will affect the sweetness and texture, so adjust the amount of liquid accordingly and feel free to add more sweetener if you have a sweet tooth
You may also like…
Lemon Protein Cake Batter Recipe
Easy Lemon Protein Cake Batter Recipe
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder Or lemon. Scroll up for more info
- 1/2 Small Lemon Zest and juice. Adjust accordingly by your preference
- 3 tbsp PLant based milk Add more if needed
- Zest the lemon and juice the lemon. Place the ingredients in separate containers or bowls.
- In a small bowl, combine vanilla or lemon protein powder with coconut flour
- Add lemon juice, then plant based milk. Mix well. You should get a smooth creamy cake batter like texture. Taste test and adjust to add more liquid or more sweetener. Enjoy!