Mmm! This yummy easy high protein banana bread recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free but tastes amazing! Recipe video included
I’ve always loved banana bread, most recipes use a lot of sugar, butter and flour – something I want to avoid. This recipe tastes so good and you can turn them into mini banana bread loaves too!
Why you should make this Protein Banana Bread Recipe:
- easy to make
- use regular bananas or over-ripe ones!
- high in protein
- gluten free
- nut free
- sugar free
- no yeast or any waiting time
- easily customisable
- contains lots of nutrition
- great for gut health
- incredibly delicous
- filling and high in fiber
- dairy free
Ingredients & Substitutions for protein banana bread recipe
What’s a loaf of banana bread without bananas? For this recipe, feel free to use regular yellow-coloured bananas or over-ripe bananas. The choice is yours, but it will affect the sweetness level of the final product.
I use this one for all my sweet recipes like protein pancakes that contain protein powder. I don’t think whey or casein protein powder won’t work for this one. However, pea protein, brown rice protein, etc work perfectly well for this banana bread recipe.
Use sweetened protein powder. because it’s one of the major sweeteners for this recipe. Again, every protein powder is different, so adjust the sweetness level accordingly.
Our flour replacement – it also creates a nice fluffier texture, so unfortunately there’s no substitution for this one.
To make our batter rise! If you don’t have baking powder, you can replace it with 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon vinegar.
Eggs and Egg Whites
Also the leavening agent and the ingredient that holds the batter, so there’s no substitution for eggs. However, you can use 3 large whole eggs (but it will be more dense) or 5-6 large egg whites (more fluffy).
Optional Spices and Toppings Suggestions
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
- ground cardamon
- cut out instant tea bags and more the herbs into the batter (like I did in the video)
- Orange Zest
- Organic pure Vanilla extract
- coconut flakes
- silvered almonds/nuts/seeds on top
- and so much more!
Tips and Variations
- Mash your bananas very well and mix the wet ingredients well
- the batter will rise almost twice its size in the oven, so only fill it halfway through!
- This recipe can also make 8 mini loafs. If you’re making them mini, bake them at 180 c / 356f for about 20 minutes. I find that it makes the banana breads more fluffy too
- feel free to cut the recipe in half to make 4 mini loaves instead
- let them cool in the cooling rack completely before cutting – I know it’s tempting, but trust me, it’s worth the wait
How to store protein banana bread
This banana bread recipe can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Or, you can also put the airtight container in the fridge for 10 days.
As for freezing, wrap the banana bread slices / mini loaves individually in parchment paper, then put it in a freezer-friendly bag in the freezer for 2 months.
To reheat, defrost the individual slices in the fridge 24 hours before eating. You can either reheat it in the microwave or the oven.
Best Protein Banana Bread Recipe (sugar free, Gluten-free, Dairy free)
- 2 bananas (large)
- 2 eggs (large)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 cup vegan vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon spices (scroll up for suggestions!)
- Preheat oven at 190c / 375f or 180c/356f if you’re making mini loaves
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas very well. Add the eggs and whisk very well. Set aside
- In another large bowl, add all the dry ingredients (protein powder, coconut flour, baking powder, spices) and mix well.
- pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well – it should be a very thick batter. Line parchment paper in and transfer the batter and spread evenly. Just fill it up to half of the container – it will rise almost 2x in the oven
- Bake for 40 minutes, or 20 minutes for mini loaves, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool completely in the cooling rack before serving.