This quick and easy vegan protein mug cake using a microwave is so delicious! It only takes 4 main ingredients to make and I eat it for breakfast, snack and dessert.
Why you should make this mug cake
- it’s high in protein – 19 grams in just one mug cake!
- sugar free
- dairy free
- gluten free
- grain free
- so delicious
- easy to make
- quick to make
- you only need one mug and spoon to make it
Ingredients and Substitutions
I use this one for all my sweet recipes like protein pancakes that contain protein powder. I don’t think whey or casein protein powder won’t work for this one. However, pea protein, brown rice protein, etc work perfectly well for this recipe.
This is also the sweetener for this mug cake, so make sure to use sweetened protein powder. In this case, I’m using vanilla flavoured. You can also add stevia to your mug cake for more sweetness too.
To make the mug cake more fluffy but also low in carbs. Coconut flour has lots of fibre and nutrition and it’s a very different flour to work with compared to regular ones. Therefore there are no substitutions for this.
A quick and lazy mug cake uses a quick and lazy method – tea bags.
I use individual packages like these but if you’re using big leaves or don’t want to have tea bits shown in your mug cake, you can warm the milk first and soak the tea like you would if you’re drinking it. Then when you add the milk it will have an earl grey flavour. However, the flavour might not be as strong.
The leavening agent of this recipe.
Milk of choice
Use whatever milk you’d like! This gives a more creamy and full texture to the mug cake, but if you would like to use water instead, feel free. But be warned that the mug cake might not be as rich.
Optional ingredients suggestions
- some chopped nuts to sprinkle on top
- adding some “yogurt frosting” on top after microwaving
- pairing it with some fruit like berries when serving
Tips and Variations for Earl Grey Mug Cake
- Instead of earl grey flavour, use other tea bags or powders: green tea matcha is my favourite
- mix the dry ingredients well
- taste test and add more milk when necessary
- if you don’t know how long to microwave your mug cake, microwave it for 70 seconds on high heat first, check if it’s undercooked, and microwave 15 seconds more at a time.
- be careful when you take the mug cake out of the microwave!
90-Second Easy Vegan Protein Mug Cake – Earl Grey
- 1/4 cup Vanilla Vegan Protein powder (or 1 scoop)
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Earl Grey (I use a bag of earl grey tea packets)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (or water if preferred)
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional;)
- In a microwave-safe mug or ceramic bowl (scroll up to see my recommendations), spray a little bit of non-stick spray
- Add all the dry ingredients in the mug (protein powder, coconut flour, baking powder, earl grey, and cinnamon) and mix well
- pour in the milk and mix. You should have a thick batter, but depending on your coconut flour and protein powder, you may need to add more milk, one tablespoon at a time.
- smooth out the top and microwave for 70-100 seconds depending on your microwave (I did 90), until your toothpick comes out clean
- be careful when taking the mug cake out and let cool. Enjoy!